C&C4 Remake Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coding Crawlers ...

+2
Naraku
SEA-106
6 posters

Go down

Coding Crawlers ... Empty Coding Crawlers ...

Post  SEA-106 Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:53 am

(I copied this from other forum)

... is virtually impossible.

Honestly, has anyone thus far had any succes putting in a crawler like system? I've just had a go at it, and found out that I can neither give a unit a build queue, nor give a structure a way to move. So, has anyone else had any more success than I have?

The only way I can think of atm is by using the four special ability slots on the bottom right of the screen, but that will limit the crawler to building 3 unit (maybe structure) types when mobile.

One idea I had was to use an invisible structure that can build structures and research upgrades (which can upgrade the Crawler), although this wouldn't work with vehicles, as they need somewhere to come out. It could possibly become difficult to code, as it would stop the victory condition from being achieved, as there is still a structure in the game, and one that is invisible and untargetable.

Alternately, we could test if we could increase the amount of special-ability button slots up from 4, but I highly doubt this will work. (I know it's concrete in RA3, but I'm not sure about this)

anyway, feel free to discuss.

SEA-106

Back to top Go down

Coding Crawlers ... Empty Re: Coding Crawlers ...

Post  Naraku Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am

I was thinking that the crawler could be classified as a unit, and that the unit must be destroyed in order to achieve the victory condition (Maybe this is the reason why C&C4 does not have a deathmatch mode)
I know that bobug was able to make the MCV build everything when deployed, but idk about when it is moving. Do we really need to make units while the MCV is moving?
Naraku
Naraku

Back to top Go down

Post  granyte Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 am

in C&C 3 the MCV has everything you need
it build territories claiming units it build building etc etc
the only thing we misses is a que
and how many tabs we can add to a single building cause it adreal haves 2
granyte
granyte

Back to top Go down

Post  CommieDog Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:38 pm

I got a mobile unit to build Surveyors. There is a problem, though: when the Surveyor appears, the producer unit tries to move out of the Surveyor's way.

CommieDog

Back to top Go down

Post  SEA-106 Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:22 pm

I've been able to use the special ability slots down the bottom-right to create a unit. I can also create it outside the Crawler/MCV by using an offset. I can also code it to have an FX when created (for example, a Scrin unit might have a teleport FX)

However, since I'm using special abilities to do this, the cooldown is after I create the unit, not as it's being created.

SEA-106

Back to top Go down

Post  bluestar Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:48 pm

CommieDog wrote:I got a mobile unit to build Surveyors. There is a problem, though: when the Surveyor appears, the producer unit tries to move out of the Surveyor's way.
hello crawler coder Very Happy
bluestar
bluestar
Admin

http://nickcncchat.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SEA-106 Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:00 am

Code:
<ObjectCreationList
      id="OCL_PitbullSpecial">
      <CreateObject
         Options="IGNORE_ALL_OBJECTS DONT_SET_PRODUCER ISSUE_MOVE_AFTER_CREATION"
         Disposition="ON_GROUND_ALIGNED SPAWN_AROUND"
         CreateFX="FX_CrawlerSpecial">
         <Offset
            x="20.0"
            y="-80.0"
            z="0.0"></Offset>
         <CreateObject>GDIPitbull</CreateObject>
      </CreateObject>
   </ObjectCreationList>

this is the OCL I use to create a pitbull. Notice the Offset? that's what makes the unit not appear in the middle of the MCV. Because of that, the pathfinding system will not tell the MCV to move out of the way.

SEA-106

Back to top Go down

Post  Naraku Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 am

Its been quite some time, and I would like to see a demonstration of how this would work, maybe someone could compile this crawler concept into a small mod and pass it around.
Naraku
Naraku

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyFrankyJim Thu May 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Can someone upload the whole file, I would like to look at the code

BobbyFrankyJim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum